This contains the early history of the people living in Splithand east of the Mississippi River. We list these separate from the west side of the river because they were a community apart from the rest of Splithand. The first person to homestead was Pete Tory in the year 1891, followed by Carl Carlson in 1892.
Frank Peters came in 1914 and lived for 18 months. This place was then taken over and homesteaded by Ed Reed in 1918.
August (Gus) Olson came in 1918 and was a carpenter and came to this country from Norway. Gus also ran trap lines every year along the Mississippi River. Gus is known to be the only man that could cross the Mississippi River on a skimmer of ice.
Otte Lienonen came in 1915 and in 1918 his home was used for the school. The teacher was Mrs. Ed Reed. Mutchler settled on the Lienonen place and lives there today.
In 1917 the Pine Grove School was built and the teachers were Mrs. Hammond, Mrs. Right, and Bergit Corbenson, who is now Mrs. Rylander of Bigfork. In 1924 this school was abandoned and the children were transported to Warba School by Henry Vink.
Bert Grey homesteaded in east Splithand, contracted T.B. and died. Jack O’Brien came in 1914, Lloyd Dayton in 1922, and then in 1934 George Brown bought this place and farms this place today.
Haven came in 1915, Lloyd Dayton in 1922, Bud Kruger, Longmore in 1936, Eggert, war veteran, died in 1955.
Bert Hammond came in 1921; Vida Parent bought this place in 1936. His wife died of T.B…
John Holmes came in 1924
Jessie Timo 1932.
Carl Ische came in 1937.
Turcott lived on the Pete Tory place.
The First Settlers
This contains a list of the first settlers who lived in Splithand and the date; also the people that lived on the same place later and up to the present date of 1956.
Charles Gravelle 1890 homestead, John Peterson, Abby Holden, now the old ball diamond.
Granville VanDusen 1893 homestead, now Roy VanDusen.
Peters 1894 homestead, now George Burt, Sr. since 1912.
George Vipond 1894.
Halverson 1894 homestead, Enghousor 1903, Joe Graff and Antone Modrynski 1917, Albert Schack,
Lawrence Schall, John Orrison, now Harold Hammann since 1940.
Hans Knudson 1896 homestead, now Wilhelm Knudson.
Alec Cook 1896, Leonard Cook, now Joe Koch since 1934.
Al Phillips 1897, George Gibbs 1912, John Stunovich 1930, now George and Kenneth Stockwell, 1944.
Riddell 1893 homestead, Les Rudisell, now Waino Jamsa since 1943.
Tommy Ring 1898, August Behm, Roy Quass 1939.
Andy McCloud 1900, M. J. Hanson.
John Anderson 1898, R.C. Rasmussen, now Clara Edwards.
Upton 1900, Will Mueller 1903, Jennings, Roy Burt 1932, William Her 1933, George Stockwell 1934, now Howard Watson since 1939.
R. G. Rasmussen 1904, now Clarence and Ernest Rasmussen.
Charles Mueller 1903
Carl Rasmussen 1904, Hank Rasmussen, now Harvey Rasmussen live there.
Fred Mueller 1903, now George Edin 1946.
Will Mueller 1903, August Behm 1916, John Frey 1917, T. M. Herber, Bogie 1918, Frank VanDusen, now Edward Knudson 1950.
Mrs. Martha Hanson 1902, Fritz Lorenz, now vacant.
Jack Daley 1904
Webb 1904, Jones 1906, Charles Ervin, Jr., William Benzing.
James Ervin 1906, Jorgenson, Herber, Lewis Peterson, now Kenneth Watson.
George Gibbs 1912
Jake Schultz 1912, now John Christopher since 1914.
Joe Burt came in 1912 bought in 1921.
Theadore Peterson 1904, Louis Peterson, Lane’s Store 1938, George Stockwell 1939,
Jim Paul 1949.
Oscar Struble 1913, Snell stayed here one year, 1913
Wm. Jackson 1914, Chapman came in 1916 but only bought recently.
T.M. Herber, Milton Hanson, now John Marsh since 1953.
Ray Winters came in 1914, bought in 1939.
Ed Winckler 1915, Albert Schack, Sr., Albert Schack Jr., Calvin Leaf 1952.
Charles VanDusen born here, now Wm. And Andy Key 1951.
Walker VanDusen born here.
Hugo Winckler 1915.
Robert North 1915, Edwin Watson 1916, Rice 1919, Wilson in 1930’s, Orville Gibbs since 1912.
Jens Hanson 1917, now Charles Hanson.
James Nichol 1920, Frank McCoy 1943, now Robert Key 1955.
Joe Graff 1918, George Burt, Jr. 1943.
Howard Nichol 1920, now Elmer Hyen 1941.
James Gilbert 1920 bought 1952.
Chris Larson 1914
Maurice Salisbury, now Benjamin Muzzy 1945.
Melvin Kaye 1923, Richard Jacobs 1952
Jesse Carlisle 1939
Archie Carlisle 1941
Ernest Hesse 1944
Jorgenson place, M. T. Hanson, Joe Paul 1942.
Eugene Winckler, born here 1946.
Arnold Danson 1949
Charles Gibbs came in 1912, Leslie Rasmussen 1951
Harold Struble born here 1945
Ewald Schack born here 1947
Wilbur Struble born here 1956
Allan Quass 1939
Ilka Brothers 1949
Harold Menton 1952
Charles Ervin was the first assessor of Splithand and was followed by Howard Watson in 1929. Then in 1944 Joseph Burt took the job for four years. Hank Rasmussen was assessor from 1949 to 1953 and then Howard Watson as of 1956.
Board of Electioneers
The first board of electioneers was Charles Ervin, Pete Torey, and jack Daily as judges. Schickling and Fred Mueller as clerks. The first elections were held in the old log school house.
The present board is Carl Phillips, Oscar Struble, and Joe Koch as judges. Martin Winberg and Donald Tilden are clerks. The elections are held in the old Ervin school which is now the 4-H building.
George Burt, Sr. served on the board as judge for many years. Frank Gibbs, Clair Phillips, and T. M. Herber also served on the board.
Type of Dwellings
Charles Miller came to Splithand with his wife, Fred Miller and his wife, Will, Elmer and John in 1903. Everybody worked together in building houses out of hewn logs with hand-split shakes for the roof.
People today don’t work together as much as in the early days. People didn’t have fencing then and would let the livestock run in the woods. When chore time came, they would have to round them up and separate them from the neighbors stock before the milking was done. This was the job for the women and youngsters.
Type of Land Acquisition
The first settlers homesteaded their property from 1890-1900; you could homestead a section and hold it for 14 months and then buy it for $1.40 an acre this was called commuting. The settlers that came after 1900 bought or rented the land.
Exciting Incidents of Early Settlers
In 1903 Mrs. Martha Hanson lived where Fritz Lorenz later had a store by Little Splithand Lake. Coming home from town their sleigh upset in a snow bank on what is now the Joe Burt place. Mrs. Hanson lost her Norwegian watch with her name on it. The folks looked for her watch then and also in the spring but with no success. Then in 1938 Arnold Burt was plowing with a team and walking plow and turned the watch up in a furrow. As Mrs. Hanson had died, the watch was given to her son Art, who was very pleased.
In 1936 while cutting ice on the Mississippi River, Allan Burt lost his balance and fell in scoop shovel and all. Due to the quick thinking of John Christopher who reached in and pulled him out and rushed him to the nearest house a half mile away he was saved. The current under the river ice is wicked and the scoop was lost.
Roads and Highways
The first trail in Splithand was called the government road. It came through Jacobson and followed along the west side of the Mississippi River to Grand Rapids. This road followed the high land as much as possible but when it came to a low swampy place, small cedar logs were placed side by side. This was called corduroy and was very bumpy when crossed in a lumber wagon. This trail was later called the state road.
The road from Charles Hanson through Strubles to Little Splithand was called the tow road. It was surveyed and straightened by Al Phillips, Tommy Ring, Carl Rasmussen, and R. G. Rasmussen. They also built the first bridges across Splithand Creek.
In 1950 State Road A was straightened, regarded and blacktopped rebuilding this highway has promoted the population to increase more rapidly than before. In 1949 the folks of Splithand were unable to get to Grand Rapids for about three weeks only by way of tractor and wagon. This was because of the bad spring break up; the roads were impassable for miles with mud. The creeks were overflowing their banks and washing out culverts.
The first travel was by river and the first boat between 1890 and 1900 were (The Andy Gibson, Walter Tailer, Irene, and the Orrille), which was the last steam boat to run the Mississippi River. The Orrille was about 120 feet long and 12 feet wide.
Mail Routes and post offices
The first post office was in the town of Rabey, which lies about two miles south of where Splithand joins Aitkin County. This was a star route and the first mail carrier was William Wandschneider. He delivered the mail in a Model T as far as Glenn Danson’s and then took passengers, cream, or eggs to Grand Rapids from there. The star route still passes through the southern corner of Splithand and serves ten people. It comes up Highway 3 from Jacobson to Roy VanDusen’s, then turns south and goes to Rabey.
The rural free delivery started from Grand Rapids on Highway 169 through Wendigo and later came through Splithand. Jess Anthony was mail carrier and this route for 30 years. This route turns around at Roy VanDusen’s and follows the River Road almost to Grand Rapids.
Telephone and Radio
The first telephone was started in 1920 and was called the Rabey Line. Stock was bought by individuals of the community at $25.00 a share. Later, shares were sold to business men of Grand Rapids to help meet expenses. This telephone line started at Rabey and went to the village limits of Grand Rapids. Eighty-seven miles of wire were used. Some of the first boosters of the line were Will Mueller, Harold Eastman, William Jackson, and Judd Romans. Louis Romans was the first secretary and Oscar Struble was one of the first linemen. This line was in operation in January, 1921 and Will Mueller and Howard Watson were the first to us it. It was discontinued in 1955 when the Northwestern Bell bought the line and built a new line with dial phones.
The first radio in Splithand was owned by Lowell White who lived on the Ridell place near Cowhorn Lake in 1921.
The first automobile came to Splithand in May, 1916. Jess and Carl Watson drove their Saxon out from Grand Rapids to their father’s place, who lived on what is now the Orville Gibbs Residence.
Peter Burt and Will Mueller each had a Model T and Harold Eastman had a Chevrolet the same year.
Electricity and Home Lighting
The Will Mueller farm was the first to have carbide lights throughout the house and barn. Most people in Splithand used Aladdin and the regular old kerosene lamp and used the kerosene lantern in the barns.
Some people had wind chargers to run lights and radios in their homes. It has a propeller that turned a generator and put electricity into a wet cell battery. When the wind blew there was a lot of electricity and noise but everybody enjoyed it.
The REA came to Splithand in 1950 and that brought a great change in the way of life on every farm. One of the big chores before was cutting and hauling ice every year from the Splithand Lakes or from the Mississippi River and then carrying it to the ice box all summer.
The first school was built out of hewed logs in 1898 by the neighbors of Splithand. This school was located between the Splithand Creek and the junction of State and Rabey and was in use until 1917. It stood there until 1938 when it was bought by Ray Winters and moved to his place by the mouth of the Splithand Creek and now is in use as his home. The first to go to this school were George, Walter, Bertha, Ella, Clara VanDusen; Ray, George, Archie, Lloyd, Gladys, Grace Vipond; Clinton, Frank, Henry, Louise, Louella Peters; Irene and Esther Gravelle.
Others that went to the old log school later were: Warren Jones; Maggie Cook; Laura, Agnes, Emma, Nora, Clarence, Henry, Conrad Rasmussen; Frank, Charles, Roy, Jenny VanDusen; Bessie and Kenneth Bright; Alma, Harry, Louis, Julia Peterson; Freda and Fred Erven; Elmer, Herman, Hank, and R. C. Rasmussen.
Cowhorn School was built in 1902 near Cowhorn Lake and in 1922 was moved by Charles Brock with horses to the first crossroad on State A that goes to Splithand Lake. The school was closed in 1938 and the pupils were transported to Wendigo. In 1940 the airport bought the school building and it was moved to the Grand Rapids Airport to use for CAP training.
The Erven School was built in 1910 and was remodeled in 1915. This school is located at the T between Splithand Lakes and where the side road from State Road A turns toward Wendigo. Erven School closed the building for 99 years in 1944 and it is used by the 4-H and Splithand Grange for meetings and also for any other community activity. It is also a polling place.
The new Splithand School was built in 1917 and served the south end of the township until 1939. L Then those children were transported to Wendigo also. This school is located where the side road from State A goes to Rabey. Splithand used this school for a 4-H clubhouse until 1944. It was bought by a church organization in 1953 and moved to the Y, a quarter mile east of Wendigo School and is now used as church and Sunday school.
Religion of the Community
The first church was held in the Cowhorn School in 1900 and was conducted by Reverend Crane. Then folks went to the log church which was built about halfway between Splithand and Grand Rapids in 1904.
In 1908 a frame church was constructed on a site between State A Road and the Splithand Lakes. This was non-denominational and called the Union Church. The first pastors were Rev. Crane, H. J. Snyder, T. M. Herber, Edwin B. Simons, and Tully. This church was abandoned and finally torn down in 1945 by a church in Warba.
Following is a list of preachers in Splithand from 1912 to 1949. Shoals, Koons and Lindbloom were Steamboat Evangelists.
Norwegian Synod August, 1912
Lockrem, Ludvig, Klinkenberg, Dec. 1917-May, 1923.
Bergdorf Aug 1924-June, 1925
Brommer, October 1925-August 1934
Kuester-Remer, Hill City and Splithand
Dobblestein, September 1934-June 1939
Van Hucesen, August 1939-1949, except three years in the army.
Alfred Dodds, June, 1944-September, 1945
Wesley Howland, Feb. 1946-1949
Harry Nelson, Two months in 1949
William Olson, June 1949-1951
In the early days there was the Ladies Aid and Busy B. meetings were held at a different members home each month to sew or quilt for someone in need. Now there is a home Extension Group to learn newer methods of cooking, baking, food preparation, and sewing. They also make cancer dressings and help people in need.
Health of the Community
The first midwife was Mrs. Carl Rasmussen, who delivered babies and helped until a doctor would come. Mrs. John Christopher also helped when the need arose. George Burt, Sr. was often called on for veterinary work. R. G. Rasmussen’s had ten children and Granvelle VanDusen’s a family of nine. Howard Watson’s had nine children and Joseph Burt’s had eleven. Most of these were born at home.
The only polio case in Splithand is William Struble. He was stricken and left paralyzed in his legs. He is very handy at repairing things and gets around in a wheel chair.
The Splithand 4-H has 15-20 members and is very active now. The first 4-H club was organized in 1930 by Art Frick and then it was reorganized in 1942 by Helen Tan, the 4-H County Agent. Past leaders were Clarence Rasmussen, Howard Watson, Mrs. Marie Kaye, Mrs. Ailee Bersaw, Mr. and Mrs. John Marsh and Mr. & Mrs. Robert Burt. Present leaders are Mr. and Mrs. Arnold Danson, and Mrs. Joe Burt. Members have been active in the county fair and won trips and sent projects to the State Fair.
The Splithand Grange was organized in 1949 by Wm. Pearson, the state master, and has carried out many improvements for the community. Some were direction signs for people’s places, reflectors on bridges, repairing 4-H Hall, making a grill, and planting a windbreak. Past masters were Leonard Stecher and Arnold Danson, who was also Deputy Master for several years. The Grange now has 16 active members.
Splithand had a Farm Bureau many years ago and also a Farmers Club. They had socials, local fairs, and dances held in the schoolhouse or in homes.
Wildlife of the Early Days
In the early days the deer were very plentiful and were often seen in the yards of homes. A license cost 25 cents and you could shoot a moose and three deer.
In 1920 they were much more common and were often heard howling and even seen in the daytime. Today, you rarely hear a wolf howl.
The bear population has stayed about the same. In 1939 an old bear gave birth to two cubs on Edward Knudson’s property. They were found by William Burt and captured by Jesse Carlisle. The old bear had sent the cubs up to the top of a 40 foot balsam tree and then scampered off. One of Jess’ grandchildren climbed the tree and tossed the squealing cubs down into a blanket that was stretched out into a fireman’s net. The old bear was seen later but managed to escape. One cub was kept by Jess and raised, but the other became an escape artist and was never seen again.
In 1954 Harvey Rasmussen shot a bear in Donald Burt’s cornfield. The bear had been seen out there feasting on the ears of corn during silo filling time.
In the early days bear came up to the farm and got into pig pens and killed pigs. Many berry pickers have been scared out of berry patches. One time a fellow was tacking up a no trespassing sign and he looked around the tree to stare into old Mr. Bear’s eyes. He had a gun along, but forgot and turned around to run across the meadow. When he was a quarter mile away he turned to see the bear going in the other direction as fast as he could lope.
Foxes have been more numerous in the last few years and quite a few have been shot, trapped, or run over.
Ducks and grouse have always been numerous and a few pheasants have been seen years ago.
Liquor and Prohibition
Years ago Art and Joe made a large batch of home brew, and when it had aged about long enough, the sister came to clean house. While the men were out at their work, she gave the house a thorough cleaning even the cellar. The next day Art told his neighbor Joe that Carrie Nation was here.
The first known logging operation was in 1868. Bovey-DeLaitte was the name of the main camp and it was located on Little Splithand Lake where Hesse now lives. Three hills are cleared to raise potatoes for the campers. There were a few men who stayed in camp all year. They used oxen instead of horses. The summer job was to raise food for the campers who logged during the winter. Sam Hamilton’s campsite was located on the Mississippi River. Other campsites were Day West, Sam Wilson, Charles and Ed Blake, Art McQuire, Love Brothers and Cook Lug. Carl Phillips is known to be the last man to take a log drive down Splithand Creek and down the Mississippi in 1912. It consisted of about 1 ½ million feet of logs. The logs were driven to Minneapolis by way of the Mississippi. There was o ne big mill at Little Falls, too. It took 30 to 40 days to get to the cities. A raft made out of logs with a capson on it towed the logs to Burlington, Iowa.
Charles Gravelle lived where the Splithand ball diamond is and had a ranch there, so loggers could stop on the way through. The first store was located on the river bank where Archie Carlisle lives today. Called the Grub-pile, it was easy excess to steamboats on the river. It was owned by Potter and Case who lived in Aitkin.
The first sawmill was owned by Lewis and was located where Oscar Struble lives today, (in 1908). In 1915 Allan D. and Joe3 D. Burt bought a saw mill.
Charles Mueller owned and operated a saw mill in Splithand for 20 years doing custom work for his neighbors. Some years he sawed them into lumber.
John Sutherland, a husky, 240 lb. man, was astride a log trying to free a log jam; when Pete Tory, also a large man, asked, “Do you need a little help, John??” Pete threw his pevee into the log and gave a quick downward thrust. John took an early morning dip in almost frozen water. When John found himself, he took out after Pete then gave up and said, “Just wait”. So, along in the afternoon of the same day, John found his chance when Pete had his back turned and thrust him underwater. Then John says, “Ha ha, what’s good for the goose is also good for the gander.”
They were known to be the best log drivers around.
The only Civil War veteran of Splithand was John Peterson.
Men that went into the service in World War I from the neighborhood were Harry Peterson, Allan D. Burt, Joe D. Burt, R. C. Rasmussen, Tom Rasmussen, Albert Ervin, Fred Ervin, Roy VanDusen and Nelson.
Men that went into the service in World War II from the neighborhood were Donald, Roy, Wayne, Arnold, Burt; Arthur Behm; Arnold Danson; Harold, Wilbur, Willard Struble; Kenneth, Robert, Lawrence Stockwell; Lawrence, Joe Herr; Douglas, Kenneth Watson; Bernard, Robert, William Jamsa; Benjamin Muzzy; Kenneth, Laverne Keys; Ernest, Henry, Conrad Rasmussen.
Men that went into the service in the Korean War or afterward from the neighborhood were; Scotty, Charles Burt; Clifford Struble; James Edin; Everett Watson; Albert Watson; Lionel Carlisle; James Muzzy; Robert and Richard Schack.
The first ball team of Splithand was started about 1912 and they were called the Splithand Wild Cats. Some of the first team members were Will Perry, Harry Peterson, Todd Guthrie, Charles Mueller, Oscar Struble, R.C. Rasmussen, Fred Ervin, Leonard Schickling, Allan Burt (pitcher), and Joe Burt (manager). This team was said to be pretty good and played for some distance around here. Then between 1930 and 1940 the second generation was in full swing.
Fourth of July Activities
Splithand always used to hold a 4th of July celebration at the school. It was a regular community gathering with pop and homemade ice cream. There were races, games, fireworks, fire crackers, and on top of a full stomach, a ball game with a rival team in the afternoon.
The Chippewa Indians were here, but did not stay very long. They used to gather rice and camped at the dam. There are five Indians buried by the dam. Pottery, arrowheads and stone axes have been dug up at the old home of Carl Phillips. The Indians had an old camping ground by Cook Brook. Here they would set up a net and stake it out to catch fish travelling upstream to spawn.
In the high flood water of the Mississippi River, there was an old Indian grave washed up on Orville Gibbs farm. Joyce found this while taking a walk one day. The Sheriff was called and it was then decided after an examination that there was an Indian camping ground there in the early days.
A pair of Indian footwear was washed up at the Ray Winters place. This place where the Splithand Creek empties into the Mississippi River was also an Indian settlement.
John Christopher has plowed up many arrowheads in his fields.
Crimes of the Community
Jones homesteaded in about 1905. He had three boys. One of them went to the old school house. The day before hunting season, the father was blazing a trail for the boy through the woods. There was a group of hunters camping below George Burt and fishing whitefish in the lake. They came through the woods where the father was making the trail. The father was trimming the limbs off a pine tree and when he did not come home for dinner, the boys went looking for him. He had been shot. The boys soon left here and moved to another state and sold the homestead.
In the 1930’s Mr. Hoken, an old bachelor was held up and robbed and later Mr. Carl Carlson was found burned in his cabin. Both were assumed done by the same party, but suspects were never apprehended.
Houses of today are frame and some block, either new or well repaired. The land is owned by the people living there. A good blacktop highway goes through the community. There is a mail route and now telephone. Most everybody has radio or television. Most people are full-time diversified farmers while others work in town and do only part-time farm work. Some work in the mines was carpenter or various jobs.
REA is now in every home and water systems, milking machines, freezers, and clothes dryers are becoming more common. School pupils from grade one to eight are transported to Wendigo and high school students go into Grand Rapids. More children go to Wendigo every year and there if a growing need for a larger school. Several people of this community are active in Wendigo P.T.C. and a teacher and several ex-teachers live in the community.
People attend church in Grand Rapids or in nearby churches. The children go to Sunday School at Wendigo Chapel, the 4-H hall, or in Grand Rapids, community activities center around Grange, 4-H, and Wendigo P.T.C…
Teachers of old log Splithand School
1897-1898: Steven J. Leahy 1906-1908: Cecilia Rygg
1898-1899: Hattie Allen 1908-1909: Olga Rosholt
1899- : Nora Lynch (Sept.-Dec.) 1909-1910: Lillian Grey
1900- : Mabel Day (Jan-May) 1910-1911: Jessie Owen
1900-1901: Hettie Searl 1911-1913: Estella Sherman
1901-1902: Bright 1913-1915: Cora Dinwiddle
1902-1903: Evelyn Berkrum 1915-1916: Clare Wilcox
1903-1904: Nellie McAlpine 1916-1917: Queen Kelley
1904-1905: Henrietta Rose
1905- Sarah E. Baker (Sept-Jan)
1906- Bertha LaFreniere (Jan-May)
1917-1918: Hattie Upsohl 1928-1929: Lillian E. Peloquin
1918-1919: Gertrude Brock 1929-1930: Leonard Bengston
1919-1920: Ethel Robinson 1930-1931: Nadine Martin
1920-1923: Mrs. T. M. Herber 1931-1932: Agnes Campbell
1923-1925: Margaret Walters 1932-1933: Kathrin Ruth Hart
1925-1926: Ethel V. Robertson 1933-1936: Sylvia J. Kangas
1926-1927: Marie A. Lepisto 1936-1937: Ailie Hokkonen
1927-1928: Bernice V. Parker 1937-1940: Emma Engstrom
1940-1942: Hazel Mostoller
Cowhorn Lake School
1902-1903: Hawkins 1923-1924: Della Herber
1903-1904: Anna Decker 1924-1925: Irene Hamilton
1904-1905: May Shook 1925-1927: Deva O. Robertson
1905-1906: Leila M. Williams 1927-1928: Ester J. Larson
1906-1907: Lila D. Horton 1928-1929: Leone McAninch
1907-1908: L. Rose Vandyke 1929-1930: Lillian Ladin
1908-1908: Della I. Herber 1930-1931: Violet A. Wright
1909-1910: Grace E. Dinwiddie 1931-1932: Gladys E. Dinwiddie
1910-1912: Edna Best 1932-1933: Dorothy Dowell
1933-1934: Ruth Hildeton
1920-1921: Ella Carlson 1934-1935: Vaughan Johnson
1921-1922: Emma Rasmussen 1935-1936: Rose P. Thompson
1922-1923: Daisy Wendt 1937-1938: Mayme Johnson
1910-1911: Dun 1925-1926: Mona Robertson
1911-1913: Demich 1926-1927: Ethel V. Robertson
1913-1914: Adele J. Brackin 1927-1928: Hazel E. St. Louis
1914-1916: Edna Betz 1928-1929: Thelma Johnson
1916-1917: Jessie Forsyth 1929-1930: S. Mabel McKay
1917-1919: Agnes Eide 1930-1931: Roena B. Mostoller
1919-1920: Myrtle Dayton 1931-1932: Esther Lukenbill
1920-1921: Nellie Coughlan 1932-1933 Vienna Kananen
1921-1922: Cora C. Piehl 1933-1934: Ellen E. Kautto
1922-1923: Mrs. Howard Watson 1934-1936: Minerva Smith
1923-1925: Ida I. Erickson 1936-1937: Genevieve Froehlich